Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Winter Cardinals

My table this week  celebrates my late Mom's birthday week.   She loved cardinals.  Growing up in North Carolina we were able to enjoy their beauty year round.   They really do stand out in the Winter on leafless trees and on snow covered branches.  Mom had several bird feeders near the house so she could enjoy their beauty from indoors on cold Winter days.   It's rare to see them here in South Florida, but I think of her each time I see one.    Each time I see one I know she is coming to pay me a visit and to let me know she's watching over me. 


Winter Cardinals tablescape. 

I love this table when the lights are low. 







The centerpiece items are from QVC.  I have listed the item information below. 

It's so pretty in low light. 

The set of 3 handpainted illuminated glass spheres and the cascading pearl candle rings are part of the Valerie Parr Hill Collection on QVC.   I also used her set of 3 illuminated mercury silver glass pedestals and placed them on of her 12" square beveled mirror centerpiece.  There is a better picture of the mirrored piece below. 


I added a few cardinals to the white feathered boa. 

Place cards that I made last year using 3D cardinal stickers found at AC Moore. 

The napkin rings are by Lenox.   They are part of the Winter Greetings collection.  I found these at Tuesday Morning a few years ago. 


I found the red cut glass goblets at a local thrift store in Boca Raton this past Summer.  

Here is the 12" square beveled mirror centerpice by Valerie Parr Hill.  This piece is currently in stock at QVC.   She also offers a rectangular piece that matches.  The bottom is also lined to protect your table top. Valerie celebrated her 25th year at QVC this week and she has so many pretty items for Spring.    You'll be seeing a few of them here in a couple of months. 


Birdseye view of the table. 

The plate stack starts with Winter cardinal themed fabric charger plate covers I made last year.   The white dinner plate is made by Norcal LDA and was made in Portugal.  They were purchased last month at HomeGoods.  The Wexford Red plaid dinner plate is made by 222 Fifth and is also from HomeGoods this season.  The white basket weave edge salad has been in my collection for several years.   The Lenox Winter Greetings salad plates were purchased many years ago.   Replacements, Ltd. list them on their website, but they are currently out of stock.   

I made the fabric charger plate covers last year.  I found this fabric at Walmart and the entire yard cost $1.00.  
The plate stack. 

I used 5 illuminated glitter wax trees and 3 illuminated glistening wax trees on the server.  They are from the Valerie Parr Hill Collection at QVC.  The trees are on timers so they are lit each night by the time I arrive home from the office. 

The mercury glass clip on cardinals are also part of Valerie's Christmas ornament collection this past year.    The two wax cardinals in the front light up.  I've had these for several years. 

The server is really pretty with the lights down low. 

This is my Mom.  Sadly she passed away at the young age of 68 10 years ago just a few days before her birthday.  

This picture was made in the early 90's.   She was getting ready to board the corporate aircraft that I flew for a drug company in Raleigh-Durham.   

Catherine

This post is linked to the following parties: 
Wow Us Wednesdays #370 - Savvy Southern Style
Home & Garden Thursday #307 - A Delightsome Life
VINTAGE CHARM PARTY #115 - Our Hopeful Home
485th Tablescape Thursday - Between Naps on the Porch
Thursday's Favorite Things - Katherines Corner
Home Sweet Home #353 - The Charm of Home
Grace at Home #281 - Imparting Grace
CREATIVE INSPIRATIONS LINKY PARTY - Embracing Change
Share Your Style Link Party #152 - 21 Rosemary Lane
The Pretty Pintastic Party #191 - Coffee With Us 3
Home Matters Linky Party #166 - Life with Lorelai
"Anything Goes" Pink Saturday - How Sweet the Sound
Saturday Sparks Link Party 254 - Pieced Pastimes
Dishing It & Digging It Link Party #183 - Life and Linda
Inspire Me Monday – Week 315 - Create with Joy
Make it Pretty Monday – Week 238 - The Dedicated House
Amaze Me Monday #248 - Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home
Creative Mondays Blog Hop - Claire Justine
Celebrate Your Story! #111 - Celebrate & Decorate with Chloe Crabtree
The Scoop #309 - Confessions of a Plate Addict
407th Inspire Me Tuesday - A Stroll Thru Life

25 comments:

  1. Beautiful table, a lovely tribute to your mom. I especially like the napkin rings and the centerpiece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joy! I have a feeling she would love this table. She's was may tablescape instructor starting at a very young age. We had a proper table set for every family meal. The dishes, flatware and glasses were every day dishes and we used paper napkins, but it was my job to "set the table". On holidays and special events she would bring out the fine items to enjoy. I guess the joy I find in "setting the table" is in my DNA.

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful table! What a lovely way to remember your mom. Cardinals are so beautiful and I enjoy seeing them year round and you are right they stand out even more with bare trees and snow. Your centerpiece is beautiful- love the beveled mirrored piece. The fabric covered charges are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Liz! I really miss seeing the Cardinals here in So. FL. Every now and then one will flutter by and I will think of Mom.

      Delete
  3. Your table is lovely! I love cardinals too and I work at home so I can see them at the birdfeeder outside my office window(upstate NY). This is such a sweet tribute to your mom. My mother was 64 when she passed away and I, too, was always the one to set the table as a child. Whenever I set a fancy one, I know she would have delighted in it. Love your cardinal chargers. A tutorial maybe? Thank you for a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tess. I'm sure the cardinals are really pretty up your way and you can spot them quickly in the snowy trees. I have several friends that live in upstate NY and the weather has been brutal. I'm sorry you lost your Mom too. She was really young. It's great that they passed on the love for setting a pretty table. I really need to do the fabric charger plate cover tutorial. Hopefully one of these days I'll get around to it. I made four sequin covers two weeks ago for my NYE table. Should have taken the time to make pictures. It's on the top of the list to get to in 2018. Thank you for stopping by. Stay warm and enjoy those pretty birds.

      Delete
  4. This is so pretty, and so perfect for brightening dreary January days! Whenever I spy a cardinal, I feel like it's a gift from heaven, they are so beautiful!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jenna. I feel the same way about the cardinals. Each time I see one I know someone very special to me is paying a visit.

      Delete
  5. I bet your Mom would love this table! I sure do! Did you ever work at QVC?? I just wondered cause you have so many beautiful things from them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catherine,
    What an absolutely stunning tablescape! I too am very fond of Cardinals!! And I am quite aware of the saying about Cardinals too. A beautiful tribute to your Mother...
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Debbie. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year. I really enjoy your blog post. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  7. Catherine your table is lovely! I live in SW Florida on the Gulf side, over the bridge from Ft. Myers. The Cape has many cardinals and I have a pair that visit me daily and I always stop and smile. The male cardinal flies in and bathes in my bird bath and sort of makes the way for the female who sits on a branch of one of the Hibiscus....patiently waiting. When he is finished, she comes and does her thing. I don't look at it as male dominance, but more as male protector, as he makes sure it is safe for her.
    As you know, I love Valerie ParHill's beautiful items too and you have made the table look amazing. You are very talented as I would never thought of covering the chargers.
    My mother has passed too and there is not a day goes by that I don't think of her and miss her.
    Your mother must have been so very proud of you.
    Blessings
    Kari@MeandMyCaptain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kari. It's great that you have cardinal visits on the West coast. We have them over here, but now that I live by the Intracoastal I do not see them as often as I did a little more inland near US1. I didn't know you were in the Ft. Myers area. It's so pretty over that way. Our Gulfstream V is actually at Private Sky Aviation at RSW at the moment for a little maintenance work. I love all of Valerie's items. I've gone a bit crazy with purchases this past Fall, Christmas and I set up auto delivery for a few things on Tuesday. I really love your beautiful tables. You have a great talent. I hope you share them with Valerie. She is always so kind and appreciative of customers posting pictures on her page. Have a wonderful weekend and say hello to the Captain.

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful tribute to your mom. My grandma loved cardinals and I think of her every time I see one and feel the same way. Thank you for sharing at the Home Matters LInky Party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore cardinals too. What a wonderful tribute to your sweet Mom. It all looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Cardinal is so beautiful!
    So is your tablescape in memory of your dear mom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely table. I do love red cardinals. Your plate stack is so pretty. I bet it looks fabulous at night. How special your tribute to your mom is. Happy Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I think my Mom would have enjoyed it. :)

      Delete
  12. Your mother was absolutely lovely! The fact that you celebrate her love of cardinals is so special. I lost my mom when she was only 64 so I can relate. I think this is my favorite tablescape yet! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm! xo Kathleen|Our Hopeful Home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathleen. I'm sorry to hear you lost your Mom to at a young age too. They both went way too young. Thank you for hosting Vintage Charm.

      Delete
  13. Thank you for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry for hosing such a beautiful and inspiring blog each week.

      Delete