Sunday, May 27, 2018

Memorial Day

The Sunday before Memorial Day is always a day I spend in front of the TV watching motorsports.  The day always starts with breakfast watching the Grand Prix de Monaco. Wouldn't you like to visit Monaco?  I send private Gulfstream charters over that way all the time and I wish I could stow away and go too!   As soon as that race is over it's time for lunch and the Indy 500.  The Indy 500 is on my bucket list to see one day.  I toured the track and museum many years ago, but I have never made it up to a race.   Sunday evening will bring the Coca-Cola 600 from Charlotte, NC which is near my hometown.  I grew up going to NASCAR races with my Dad and have several dear friends that are now retired drivers.  I always wanted to drive a car when I was much younger. I've taken a few laps with a NASCAR driver friend at Charlotte and Martinsville during testing days.  My brothers were the race drivers and one was a series champion several times.   

My table is set with a patriotic and racing theme.   The most important thing to remember this weekend is Memorial Day is not about the race events or the barbecues, but the lives that were given so we are able to have freedom.   We must fly our flags and remember those that sacrificed so we can be free to enjoy time with our family and friends.  

Memorial Day tablescape. 













I made the patriotic candle rings with red, white & blue roses from Hobby Lobby.  The printed daisies are from Dollar Tree. 



I found the Indy 500 collector glassware at a local thrift store last year.  I am always "junkin" looking for items I can use on a table. 

I used wheel yo-yo's to hold the place cards. 

I used hose clamps as napkin rings.   The napkins are also the color of the flags that the flagman will use during the race. 


Overhead view of the table. 

The plate stack starts with hand painted checkered chargers I painted a few years ago.   The red plate is from Pier 1.  The red, white & blue salad plates are from Sur La Table last season.  I added the race logos.  



I used several of my racing collectibles on the server along with some illuminated stars from Valerie Parr Hill.  The boxwood topiary's are also from Valerie's collection.  The preserved boxwood wreath surrounding the vase is from the Lisa Robertson collection.  The mini topairy's are from a new place I'm addicted to Southern With Grace.  They offer the neatest home decor at a great value.  Each Tuesday at 7:00PM they do a Facebook live sale for their Facebook VIP club and offer very low shipping if not free.  










Always remember those that sacrificed all for our freedom! 

This post was featured on The Dedicated House Make It Pretty Monday #256

8 comments:

  1. What a fun table for your theme! I think your napkin rings were my favorite part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy! I hope you had a nice holiday with your family.

      Delete
  2. Catherine, I LOVE this table. You have added such clever details like the wheel yo-yo place card holders and the hose clamp napkin rings. You're brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sandy. :) I have so many ideas of items to add to this table. I need to raid my Dad's garage the next visit home to NC. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Hi Catherine! I'm coming over today from Make It Pretty Monday with Katherine at The Dedicated House, and saw your adorable Memorial Day/Indy 500 tablesetting!!! I love how you always make one photograph a circle ~ I've been wondering how you do that?! It's pretty neat ~ plus it goes with your Indy theme {wheels go round... Lol!}. I love the hose clamps as napkin rings ~ great idea!!!

    Have a great week,
    Barb :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Barb. I used the Photo Grid App on iPad or iPhone. I think it's also available on Android phones. I make the over head shot then use the circle frame for the overhead view and plate stack. Thanks for making a pit stop and visiting this weeks blog. :)

      Delete
  4. So cute with the race car theme!! Wonderful fun!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenna. Sunday was a full day of race viewing at my house. It was pouring rain all day due to Subtropical storm Alberto so a great day for watching TV.

      Delete