Sunday, November 11, 2018

Fall Cotton Bolls

I am running way behind on my Fall tablescaping, but I finally completed the first tablescape of the season.  The theme this week is cotton bolls.  If you grew up in the South I'm sure you knew someone with a cotton patch.   When I was a young girl my Grandfather Curry raised a cotton crop each year on a small section of his farm.   I remember running through the cotton field playing and pickin' cotton with family members and farm workers.   Pickin' cotton is a dangerous task and I still have several tiny scars on my fingers from that chore.   I was ask to stay out of the field so I wouldn't injure myself, but being a feisty little red head I didn't listen and cut myself numerous times.    I was recently in North Carolina and on the drive home to Florida I passed many beautiful cotton fields in South Carolina on the way home.  Each time I handle a cotton boll it reminds me of my youth on the farm. 





The mini cotton boll wreaths are from Home Furnishings Market & Boutique in Villa Rica, Georgia.   They have a Facebook shopping group called H F M Deals & Steals and do live sales on Facebook.  

The mercury glass pumpkins are from the Valerie Parr Hill Collection






I used a metal pineapple apothecary jar by Valerie Parr Hill  in the center of the table.   I filled it with cotton bolls, pinecones and pineapple grass balls.   I hit the pine cone jackpot a few months ago when I discovered a huge pine tree in a neighbor's yard dropping pretty cones daily in the street.   We mostly have palm trees dropping palm nuts here in So. Florida. 


I placed the metal apothecary jar on top of this pretty wood slice charger I found recently at Tuesday Morning.  

The sugar mold and mini boxwood trees are from Southern With Grace out of Cartersville, GA.   Chad and Rachel do a live sale each Tuesday night at 7PM on their VIP Facebook page.   Their deals are awesome and shipping is only $3.00.   

I used the wood slice napkin rings I made two years ago.  You can see the instructions here on my Thanksgiving Traditions page. 

Overhead view of the table. 

The plate stack starts with the black and white buffalo check table cloth from Tuesday Morning.  I used woodgrain chargers, black dinner plates and pumpkin embossed salad plates from Sur la Table. I added the cotton boll wreath and the mercury glass pumpkin to the top. 



I enjoy these pretty pumpkins at night. 


I used a ivory illuminated carved pumpkin and gourd set by  Valerie Parr Hill on the server along with her Fall Pumpkin & Magnolia Garland.  While I was in Winston-Salem a couple weeks ago I found the pretty tiny berry candle rings at Salem Creek. I place them under the pumpkin and gourd.  



Overhead view of the table at night. 


Catherine

11 comments:

  1. I love this table - not just because it's pretty (which it is) but because of the special memories it represents for you. Those cotton boll wreaths are awesome, and I like how the pumpkins nestle into them. And your sideboard -WOW! Those ivory carved pieces are amazing. Happy fall to you and Cooper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joy. It does represent special memories of my childhood. Happy Fall to you and your family.

      Delete
  2. This is such a creative and unique fall table Catherine! You've combined some of my very favorite things! Black and white checks, pumpkins and cotton!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jenna. It's a fun little table. I love the black & white check too!

      Delete
  3. Very creative table with black and white checks, pumpkins and the added cotton. Cotton is so popular this year. Those cut out hours are gorgeous. Love the chargers. You always decorate with pizazz. Your side board looks so beautiful with your accessories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Linda. The pumpkin and gourd is from the Valerie Parr Hill Collection on QVC. I like them so much I'm using them again this week on my Chinoiserie Pumpkin table.

      Delete
  4. I love your tablescape Cathy and thank you for linking up to our celebrate your story link party #154. The cotton bolls are inspirational. I too, purchased Valerie's white carved pumpkin and gourd set along with the magnolia wreath. She has such beautiful pieces doesn't she? My kids tease me all the time because I have bought from QVC and HSN for as long as they have been on the air. I hardly do any local shopping anymore. I am gettin gtoo old to fight all the crowds and not have color choices, etc.
    Kari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kari. I love everything Valerie brings to QVC. I purchased way too much this Fall/Christmas.. lol Two thirds of my 8x8 storage unit is full of her boxes. I need to make a picture and send it to her. I keep it organized by holiday and label each box with a picture and description. I have so many new items to use at Thanksgiving and Christmas. So excited to plan the future tables. Have a Blessed Thanksgiving!!

      Delete
  5. Wow! I really love this one. I had no idea Grandpa raised cotton that late into his farming career. I wonder if Dad remembers what year he stopped raised cotton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was a tiny little toddler running though the fields. The best I recall the cotton patch was down on the NE corner of the farm where the highway now. His tobacco plant beds were also in that same area. I think the reason I remember it was I kept cutting my fingers. I really don't recall how large the crop was. I would say it was in the early to mid 60's. I really don't recall him raising it later. It was a chore. There use to be a cotton gin by the large tobacco barn. I'm not sure what happened to it. I do not remember what they did with the cotton once it was picked.

      Delete
  6. There is so much I love here....the pumpkin salad plates, buffalo check and those cotton boll wreaths! I've become a huge farmhouse decor enthusiast so I've been known to use a few cotton bolls myself:) There's always so much eye candy to look at with your lovely tablescapes. And your memories are lovely too. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm. Pinned! xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete