Thursday, June 21, 2018

FIFA World Cup Party

The FIFA 2018 World Cup started a week ago and continues until July 15th.    I am so happy the 2026 World Cup will take place in the United States, Canada and Mexico.  Since the US did not play this time I styled the table in my second favorite team colors which is Argentina. I enjoy watching Lionel Messi that plays for Argentina.  I'm also a fan of Germany which won the cup in 2014.  When I was growing up in North Carolina we didn't have school or local soccer teams.   The only exposure I had to soccer was the world cup.   The player that I remember from my childhood is Brazilian soccer (football) player Pelé.   It's always so exciting to see which teams will make it to the final.   I enjoyed creating a few items for this table.  I painted the soccer plates,  made the soccer jerseys on the server and the soccer ball napkin rings. 

I used the country flags of each participating team in the centerpiece. 

World Cup tablescape. 

You may notice the wine glass at my place setting missing in a few photos.  I removed the glass to make a photo of the centerpiece and forgot to put it back.  I didn't realize it until I started to edit the pictures. 







The centerpiece. 


I made the napkin rings using soccer ball erasers found at Party City.  I sliced them in half and hot glued to the ring.  The napkin fabric if from Joann Fabrics four years ago.


My dream dinner guest would be Lionel Messi (Argentina) and Cristiano Renaldo (Portugal). 
I painted team jerseys for the server and bookcases.

The soccer theme pieces are cake toppers. 

I used the Argentina and Germany jerseys on the server. 

Brazil and Colombia team jerseys. 



I printed out a template and traced it on to foam board.  Once they were cut out I used sandpaper to smooth the edges then painted each team.  I decided not to use the exact team jersey they were playing in this year as I know they will change in 2022.  I want to use these again at future World Cups. 


Overhead view of the table. 

The plate stack starts with blue and white stripped fabric.  It's a little darker than the Argentina flag, but it was as close as I could find.  I used a black charger next then a white dinner plate that is made in Portugal.   They are in HomeGoods now.  The red plate is from Pier One years ago.   I painted the soccer plates (see below). 

I picked up 6 small white plates at a thrift store.   I traced the design on to each plate using a template. I used a medium black Sharpie for the lines and a black oil based Sharpie for the fill areas.  Once they dried for 24 hours I put them in the oven to bake for two hours. 




Catherine

This party is linked to the following parties: 

6 comments:

  1. Oh dear friend, your "Soccer WC Stread" is fabulous and adorable, wow !! Love it ! My fav was Argentina too, but we had bad luck, although I love Lionel Messi he wasn't to successful this time around.
    Now I have my hopes on Spain and Portugal. Let's see what happens.
    It is excited to see the finals to finally witness the winner.
    Enjoy it !
    Fabby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fabby. It's a fun table to create every four years. It's not looking great for Argentina. I was happy to see Germany win today and I also like Portugal.

      Delete
  2. Cathy, your creativity never ceases to amaze me. I would never have guessed that you Sharpie-painted those soccer ball plates, and I appreciated the step-by-step photos of the process. I love your napkin rings, and what a great centerpiece. Regardless of who wins the World Cup, this table is a winner for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joy. It was a fun table to create. Hopefully our US team will make it in the next one in 2022.

      Delete
  3. I think this is an informative post and it is very beneficial and knowledgeable. Therefore, I would like to thank you for the endeavors that you have made in writing this article. All the content is absolutely well-researched. Thanks... https://thevang.tv/highlight.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful setting. Are the soccer plates food safe?

    ReplyDelete