Wednesday, September 12, 2018

British West Indies

Tropical breezes and Caribbean steel drums  played in my mind as I was creating the table this week.  I had planned the West Indies table prior to the hurricanes and tropical depressions that are now looming.  I'm  sitting here tonight watching updates on hurricane Florence as she approaches my home state of North Carolina.  I have several dear friends that plan on riding out the storm in their coastal homes so I'm concerned about their safety in the coming days.  One year ago today I returned from my hurricane Irma evacuation to find my in home good shape with only some minor water damage by the front door that faces the sea.   Tropical Storm Isaac is churning in the Caribbean tonight and should track due West below Cuba.  But, we all know these things can change so we must be prepared.   
I love the West Indies style.  Years ago I worked in furniture sales and interior design here in South Florida.  The British West Indies style is a very popular design.   I always enjoyed working with clients to design beautiful British Colonial & West Indies style homes.


I used my Reed & Barton bamboo flatware again this week.  It works great with the West Indies theme. 







I used Fontanini nativity palm trees in the centerpiece.  

The Tommy Bahama palm candle sticks mix well with the Fontanini trees. 

I added shells that I have collected over the years to the base of the trees and candlesticks. 


I rarely use real tapers due to fire danger.  I've had these bamboo tapers for many years so I use them sparingly in order to keep them around for future decorating. 

I found the hand painted palm tree glasses several weeks ago at a thrift store in Boca Raton.  I knew they would be perfect with this table.  

I used a wooden high gloss napkin ring on the bamboo print napkin.  The finish on the napkin ring reminds of a beautiful high polished teak boat.  

Overhead view of the table. 



The plate stack.
 

For the base I used a mossy/olive tablecloth.  I started the stack with a jute woven placemat.  The palm leaf chargers are from Michael's this Summer.   The palm tree edge dinner plates are a thrift store find. I knew they would blend well with the dessert plates.   The dessert plates are part of American Atelier Company West Indies Collection.  They were one of my first thrift store finds when I started my tablescaping hobby several years ago.  

I used one of my tall ship models inside the round lantern on the server.  


I used carnival glass iris herringbone double candle holders with moss green tapers on the server.  




Catherine

15 comments:

  1. I love every detail of this West Indies tablescape. My fav are all your plates, starting from the place mats. The stems are great too. Perfect !
    I loved reading about your design job. I'm very partial to decorators cause it's a passion for me everything pertaining to homes, furniture, tables, interiors, etc.
    Fabby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Fabby. I love the West Indies decor too and always enjoyed assisting clients in selecting beautiful items for their home. My decor style is more Addison Mizner Old World style, but I have mixed a few West Indies pieces in the decor.

      Delete
  2. Love your Caribbean style-inspired table!! The colors and patterns are perfect and your handpainted palm tree goblets (with the bent trunks) are such great accents. Bravo!! I can almost hear the steel drums now!!
    Rosie @ The Magic Hutch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosie. We have a small restaurant at the marina by my house. They have a guy there once a week playing the steel drums. I always enjoy the music as I take my dog for a walk that evening. It takes me away to the islands for a few minutes.

      Delete
    2. How much fun that must be, Catherine!!

      Delete
  3. Another wonderful table! Those palm tree glasses are so perfect - you have some awesome thrift stores in your area. 😁. I love your round lantern with the tall ship model,too. You definitely captured the West Indies flavor in this tablescape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joy. I am lucky to have some really nice thrift shops in Boca Raton where the rich & famous donate their unwanted housewares. :)

      Delete
  4. I love this table Catherine...perhaps because we all live in Florida we are a bit prejudiced. We, too have a group who play the steel drums at our farmers market and other venues...I love the plates and the handpainted palm tree goblets. I am jealous of your talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Kari. :) It is nice living here in Florida where we hear steel drums playing year round. It's always a tropical feel here even in the Winter months.

      Delete
  5. Loved your palm tree elements, especially the plates. Thrift stores have fantastic things, don't they? I have placemats and napkins which would fit right in, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra. I am lucky to have some awesome thrift stores nearby in Boca Raton. I wished we lived close by we could share our tabletop stock. Sometimes I think I have enough to open a store.....

      Delete
  6. Such fun and so perfect for your Florida home, and it is fall like with the deep greens and browns. Love the centerpiece and the tall ship on the side board. Lovely!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jenna. :) I'm trying to hang on to the last week or two of "official" Summer. I have one more tropical table then it's time to drag out the pumpkins.

      Delete
  7. Catherine, I always enjoy seeing your tablescapes, and this one really speaks to me. We so enjoy the West Indies, and you definitely evoke the atmosphere of the islands with your decorating. I particularly noticed the ship model and the glass pineapple candle holder. They are such fun, and I can envision so many other themes in which to use them. I'll have to hunt for some similar pieces. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marge. I've enjoy the table this week. It's so hot here in South Florida I'm just not ready for the pumpkins, but I guess I will need to bring them out next week. :)

      Delete